Kristi Poole | Measuring Up
“But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
-1 Samuel 16:7, NIV
1. God views things entirely differently than the world does.
2. We should be looking to please God, not the world.
3. Pleasing God is about pursuing the immeasurable and not the measurable.
4. The world sees failure, God sees faith; the world sees wins/losses, God sees obedience; the world sees credit/recognition, God sees character.
1. Pray about how you can strive to meet the one standard which truly matters: God’s standard.
2. Remind yourself and others daily that the goal isn’t success in the world’s terms but diligent perseverance in God’s terms.
3. Go and do the work!
1. Why is it that God has a different perspective on success than the world does?
2. What does Godly character look like? What does Scripture say about how to have His character?
3. In what ways can you reinvest your measurable successes into God’s kingdom and work?